We put our heads together here at Ditch HQ to make this list of twelve shady behaviours that people do online which they deffo wouldn’t IRL.
We’re all guilty of at least a couple of the points on this list! But if you’re doing them all on the regular, then maybe consider …not doing them?!
1. Stalking people
Following someone around online is for some reason considered more ok than doing it in real life. It’s illegal to stalk someone in real life – but that doesn’t mean you can do it online instead! When you stalk someone online, you’re literally following them around their online hangouts. It’s like trailing your crush from coffee shop to coffee shop until they finally acknowledge your existence! (dodgy)
2. Judging people
Social media is a breeding ground for bitchiness and judgery, don’t pretend like you don’t judge people on their Insta photos or who’s in their profile pics! 😉
3. Comparing ourselves to others based on their social media activity
…“So, she has like 140k followers so she must be really successful and happy…”
4. Looking waaay back through someone’s old photos
And accidentally hitting ‘like’ on one from 2010… come on, we’ve all done it. *cringe*😱
5. Snooping at your crush’s exes online.
This is not a good thing to do, especially when you accidentally add them or like something on their page. Srsly guys, don’t risk it! Also, don’t judge a person on their ex-partners, they’re exes for a reason!
6. When you walk past someone you have as a friend on Facebook but don’t even acknowledge their existence…
… but you know all about their holiday last month and ‘liked’ their last profile pic.
7. Deliberately not ‘liking’ a friend’s good news because you fell out last week.
This is sooo passive aggressive. If you’re annoyed at a mate – talk it out!
8. One word: Schadenfreude.
A word which only exists in the German language and roughly translates as, ‘pleasure derived from the misfortune of others’ … ’nuff said.
9. Unfriending someone because you didn’t like their face in that last selfie they posted.
C’mon guys, you’re better than this.
10. Logging in to your mate’s profile and typing, ‘I love poop’ on their FB status… 😂
Ok, bad example – this is kinda funny if you’re 10, but also risky. You don’t know who’s got their super-grump of an aunt on their friend list who would NOT be amused by something a little more, risque!
11. Heavily editing every single photo you put online.
So, the occasional SnapChat filter is fine from time to time or the occasional moody Insta effect but honestly – you’re great as you are, don’t obsess over the way your skin looks! Embrace that double chin, love that pimple – own it!
12. Deliberately not opening a message so you don’t have to reply.
We’ve all done it, the old classic ‘I’ll deal with that later’ trick, which really doesn’t work these days since most of us are glued to our smartphones 24/7!
So, if you’re guilty of any of these, STOP! Exist in real time and use the glorious internet for what it was intended: cats and Netflix. Don’t forget to post your online pet peeves in our rant box…