Disability

Stuttering/Stammering

Viewing 4 posts - 6 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
Author
    You're completely right, it's a lack of empathy. I think too many people feel that they need to understand something to be compassionate towards it. This is relatable to anyone that has faced any kind discrimination, too. You shouldn't have to know someone who is gay/trans/another race/etc to be compassionate (at the very least!) to people like them.

It's usually eye opening when I give feedback on people correcting me. They genuinely thought they were helping me, especially if they happen to be right about what word I was going to say next.

As far tips go -

- keep talking
    - be open to how therapy goals change. there's no cure, so therapy eventually becomes about making your speech not prevent you from doing things.
    - if in school, get your teachers on your side first. they should be your first allies.
    - learn to get out of your comfort zone
    - no really, keep talking.

Comment

• Comment

Hey Copacetic,
        Thanks for the honest here. What advice would you give to somebody who is experiencing bullying because of attitudes towards it? Do you have any good comebacks that have worked well for you in the past?

Harper

Comment

• Comment

Stuttering absolutely sucks! I stuttered SO bad in fourth grade that I could barely get out one sentence. My two friends and I learned sign language so we could communicate better. Once I started seventh grade I barely stuttered at all but people still make fun of me to this day. I think a lot of it for me is eye contact. I have a hard time looking at people while I'm talking and I think that I can talk to myself better than other people.

Comment

• Comment

I stutter to the point were some days I sound like a broken record and get bullied.

Comment

• Remi
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Dea, I'm so sorry you are getting bullied for your stutter. This is absolutely not okay, have you told any of your teachers about this?

Stay strong x

Remi
              • Comment

• Remi
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Dea, I'm so sorry you are getting bullied for your stutter. This is absolutely not okay, have you told any of your teachers about this?

Stay strong x

Remi

Viewing 4 posts - 6 through 9 (of 9 total)

Working...
              X