Sexuality, Dating & Relationships

How can I come out as bi to my strict and conservative family?

Community Sexuality, Dating & Relationships How can I come out as bi to my strict and conservative family?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I just joined this website recently, and everyone here seems so nice and supportive to the lgbt+ community. I desperately want to come out as bi to my family, but I have absolutely no clue how to. Most of them are Independant Baptists who believe that being gay/bi/etc. is against the Bible (it’s not). I worry that if I came out they would kick me out, or, at the very least, ground me. My father once told me that a parent letting their kid be gay was horrible parenting. I have no clue how they would react. I have no clue if coming out is even a good idea in my case. Does anyone have any advice for me?

elev
    Participant

Hi, I’m sorry to hear your problem(well read) In my opinion your parents should be happy with your happiness..Just do it instead of wondering “what if” their reaction might be different you never know.. but don’t let yourself believe that you are the problem or whatever, they have to accept the fact that you are bi or whatever you want to be because they create a child,not a clone and that child is made up to build a personality which will not necessarily match with theirs and that’s for sure in the bible. Sorry if I sound mean I’m just a bit mad cause Freedom is my favourite word;if you know what I mean. You are not the only one though if that makes you feel a little bit better. Xx

peach311
    Participant

Hey

Welcome to Community it makes me very happy to hear you feel supported already.

I totally agree with Elev that you are not the problem and it is essential you continue to remember that.

This first thing I wanted to ask is have you read this blog?

Thinking of Coming Out to Your Homophobic Parents…?

It has some helpful things to bear in mind and know when deciding how and when to come out. Have a read and see what you think. Also, no.6 really stands out given what your father has said.

The most important thing to remember is that your safety and wellbeing has to come first. How likely is it that they would kick you out of the house? Is there anyone you can think of that knows you and your family and you trust enough to talk through if now is the right time. For some people, it is a case of having to wait a bit longer till they are no longer living at home. Coming out is different for everybody so what is right for one person, might not be right for you.

The good news is there is so much support available to everyone in the LGBTQ community online and we can be connected in ways that just were not possible even ten years ago. Keep reaching out and please don’t feel alone because you aren’t we are here and we care about you,

Sending positivity and support
    -Peach311

peach311
    Participant

Hey

Welcome to Community it makes me very happy to hear you feel supported already.🌈

I totally agree with Elev that you are not the problem and it is essential you continue to remember that.

This first thing I wanted to ask is have you read this blog?

Thinking of Coming Out to Your Homophobic Parents…?

It has some helpful things to bear in mind and know when deciding how and when to come out. Have a read and see what you think. Also, no.6 really stands out given what your father has said.

The most important thing to remember is that your safety and wellbeing has to come first. How likely is it that they would kick you out of the house? Is there anyone you can think of that knows you and your family and you trust enough to talk through if now is the right time. For some people, it is a case of having to wait a bit longer till they are no longer living at home. Coming out is different for everybody so what is right for one person, might not be right for you.

The good news is there is so much support available to everyone in the LGBTQ community online and we can be connected in ways that just were not possible even ten years ago. Keep reaching out and please don’t feel alone because you aren’t we are here and we care about you. ⭐️

Sending positivity and support
    -Peach311
    ❤️

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

How are you feeling now?

Thanks for letting us know