General Bullying Questions

How to ask the "bully" to meet the "victim" to solve the problem?

Community General Bullying Questions How to ask the "bully" to meet the "victim" to solve the problem?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cinzia
    Participant

I saw your advice on how to meet the bully one to one and with the presence of a mentor. I am talking about bullying in a school environment. I think that can be challenging for a ‘bully’ to accept to engage in a meeting, as maybe can be also challenging for him to accept to have a problem that need to be address. Could you help me to understand which one are the challenges in organizing a meeting and is it likely that the bully will not accept the meeting?

peach311
    Participant

Hey

Yes, no problem.
    What we have found is that every situation is very different and it is not a case of one size fits all.

Would you be able to give me a bit more background and then I can give you some suggestions on how to navigate it?

Overall I think it comes down to empathy and accountability for the person exhibiting bullying behaviour and creating a safe space for them to talk openly about what has been going on both personally and with their behaviour.

Sending positivity
    -Peach311 💜

cinzia
    Participant

thank you for your answer. Actually I do not have more background to give you as I am a university student in childhood studies and I am interested in finding more about bulling. I really appreciate the work you are doing to tackle bullying. I would like to know, based on your experience, when the “victim” is ready to meet the “bully” to talk with the presence of a mentor, is it usually challenging to convince the bully to attend the meeting? Based on your experience, the bully accept the meeting easily or is it likely that he or she will not want to talk at all?

peach311
    Participant

Hi,

Based on my experience, it totally depends on what the school’s approach to resolving and dealing with bullying behaviour is.

Generally the person exhibiting the bullying behaviour will not be given an option and will be expected to attend the meeting regardless. Whether they are then able to self-reflect enough to fully understand the impact of their behaviour is another issue.

Every situation is different and given that bullying is a behaviour and sometimes an unconscious one it is essential to have a skilled facilitator present In order for everyone to feel heard.

-Peach311

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

How are you feeling now?

Thanks for letting us know