i'm out but it doesn't feel that way

Community Gender i'm out but it doesn't feel that way

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    eli
    Participant

so, i came out to my parents as ftm transgender on august 10, 2017 and they were somewhat supportive, but NOTHING has changed. i told my parents i really wanted to get a therapist and go to the doctor, which they understood. but it’s been 6 months now and i still haven’t started my transition. i talked to my mom about the doctor a month ago and she said: ‘okay we’ll figure something out’, but we never do. i’m 18, i know i can do what i want. should i just take matters into my own hands and make a doctors appointment and go on my own? and just tell my parents that this is happening and that it’s real? (fyi they are normally very, very supportive of me, but they don’t fully understand this even though i know that they’re trying, especially my mom). thanks in advance.

(edit: i’m not out to my best friend. should i maybe tell her and ask her to help me? should i wait? she’s very lgbt+ friendly but idk lmao i’m scared as shit)

peach311
    Participant

Hey,

Thanks for your honesty and I totally understand why you are feeling frustrated. Have you heard of an organisation called Mermaids: http://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk/transgender-youth-forum.html

They are amazing and have a wealth of resources and support for exactly your situation. From what you have described it does sound like not much is happening and you deserve and need to get things moving.

My advice would be to reach out to them as well and explain what has been happening and they will be able to guide you on the best next steps. They also have a section for parents as most parents don’t really have much understanding and need educating if they are to support their children with transitioning.

Keep reaching out for support and taking action, Mermaids (the organisation above) is the best place to get the help you need to work out your next steps.

The more places you have support the better so telling your best friend sounds like a good idea. Being scared is very normal but I get knowing that doesn’t suddenly make it less scary. When it comes to deciding whether or not you should come out to various people, the things to be aware of are:

Do I trust them? Do I feel safe with them? Do I feel ready to tell them? (it’s normal to feel still scared and ready at the same time)

What do you think? Does that help for now?

Sending positivity and support.
    -Peach311

randomkilljoy
    Participant

I’m trans ftm but I’m too scared and I don’t know how to come out. I’ve know I was trans for almost a year and I physically can not come out even though my parents wouldn’t care at all but I’m still too scared. Any tips on how to cone out will help I’m just a boy trying to be a boy but you know I can’t transition if I don’t come out.

blondie

Hey, thanks so much for opening up and we completely understand why it can be such a daunting process – but ultimately you deserve to be happy and to live your best life. Maybe have a look at this article here: https://www.ditchthelabel.org/8-tips-for-coming-out-as-trans/ it sets everything out step by step which can really helpful and it has been written for someone who has been exactly where you are.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

How are you feeling now?

Thanks for letting us know