Health

Overcoming Fear of Panic Attacks

Community Health Overcoming Fear of Panic Attacks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    loveheals30
    Participant

Hi, I have suffered from fear of panic attacks for about a year now, and has resulted in me not working. It sucks being bullied by older brother and not having a job to move out again. I know I need to confront my older brother.

Could Panic attacks be a cause of being bullied since I was young? Any helpful resources or mentors?

Thanks

peach311
    Keymaster

Hi Loveheals,

Welcome to Community.

It is fantastic you are reaching out for help, it is so crucial we do, no one deserves to go through this stuff on their own.

Have you been to your GP to discuss what has been happening? I would recommend that as a first step if you haven’t.

How long has your brother been bullying you for and are your family aware of what is going on?

Bullying when it comes from a sibling can feel very unrelenting and stressful so it could very well be related and you might still have been in this position if he hadn’t it is very hard to prove what causes what. But the most important thing is to get you more support to help you deal and process what is going on right now.

Mind are a fantastic organisation and have a wealth of resources, here is the link to their support for panic attacks:

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/#.WiLt4xT_3zI

Also have a read of this article from our blog, it might helpful if not there are lots on the blog and I can show you some others or feel free to browse yourself:

10 quick and easy things to do during a panic attack

The biggest thing I want you to know is help is available and you are not on your own.

Sending positivity and support
    -Peach311

jayb
    Participant

Hey Loveheals,

How are you doing?

I used to get a lot of panic attacks and can talk you through what helped me if you think it would help.

loveheals30
    Participant

@Peach Thank you so much, and yes it isn’t easy the constant name calling and being rude and me just holding it all in, and him thinking its funny and a joke.

Im tired of living how Im living and he’s treated me like this since we were young. My dad was verbally abusive to my mom, so maybe thats where he learned behavior.

Also, I’m not the only one hes rude to. But mainly everyone around him, even my Mom and Dad.

loveheals30
    Participant

Hey Jay,

I would appreciate some tips, my triggers are being far away from home or thinking I am sick.

I start overthinking and leads to panic attacks, which has limited me from getting a job again and living my life in abundance.

peach311
    Keymaster

Hey Loveheals,

When we experience bullying from a sibling and it starts at a young age what happens is we get very used to it and it becomes normal. But abusive bullying behaviour is never ever ok no matter who it comes from. I completely understand why you have had enough.

Have you guys ever spoken about his behaviour to you?

Sending positivity
    -Peach311

jayb
    Participant

Hey Loveheals,

For me, it is when I get overtired and too busy it’s like my body and mind cant cope and I get flooded with anxiety and fear which always makes me have to slow down and deal with it.

Ok so what works is:

-Breathing exercises, basically you need to breath out for longer than you breathe in, for example, 3 counts in 5 counts out. It really does work but you to be patient and stick with it.
    -Meditating-because anxiety stems from the mind meditation gives your mind the much-needed space to breathe and helps slow down the rapid obsessive thinking. Start small 5 mins a day, what matters is consistency not amount.
    Writing-When I am in the middle of it I find it helps to vomit it all on the page, it gets what is in my head out which then helps me feel less like it is building and reaching a boiling point.
    -Exercise is a real find for me, I found something that I enjoy and it just helps to reset my head a bit and the best bit is when I do it (boxing) I am focused on my body that my head goes quiet.

What have you tried so far? Hope this helps.

Jay

louise19
    Participant

Hey Loveheals,

How are you doing?

December and January are intense months, hope you’re doing ok.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

How are you feeling now?

Thank’s for letting us know