Disability

Scared to approach my GP

Community Disability Scared to approach my GP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    franticfandoms
    Participant

This is probably nothing, but throughout the day, especially in loud environments like the classroom, i can find it incredibly difficult to do simple physical things like hold a pen. Like I’ll consciously be trying to hold it and do my work, but my hand just can’t grip it or it won’t feel right when I can, which gets me riled up cause I can get incredibly angry at myself for not being able to do simple things.
    These episodes are often worsened by certain noises, like paper being crumpled really loudly, or when my Irish teacher says certain syllables.
    It’s really starting to affect my daily life, but I’m worried my doctor will just put it down to something like stress or make it sound like I’m making a mountain out of a molehill.
    I’m also going to have to explain this to my parents because we don’t go for regular check-ups so I’d have to draw their attention to it before seeing my doctor.

peach311
    Keymaster

Hey Franticfandoms, ✌🏽

Thank you for your post and honesty. I don’t think you are making something out of nothing. In fact, what you are describing sounds pretty intense and stressful. Have you mentioned it to anyone at school?

Trust your instincts about going to the GP and what your body is telling you. You need and deserve support and are 100% allowed to ask for it. I have had similar fears over the years and what I have found is some doctors are better than others in how they communicate and the time they can give you. What has helped me is the following.

-Write down details and examples before you go in as it is easy to forget things you wish you had said after.
    -Avoid down playing it and talk from the heart about how it has been affecting you.
    -Be honest, you can share that you are nervous about being dismissed.
    -Asking for help can feel uncomfortable, if at any point you feel like you are making a fuss take a deep breath and let go of that thought, it is just a thought and not a fact.
    -Would you feel more comfortable taking someone in with you to the appointment? That might help so have a think
    -Write down any feedback or advice during the appointment, it stops you forgetting it afterwards.

With regards to your parents are you nervous about their reactions being negative if you tell them?

Listening to our bodies is so important and you are doing the right thing so keep going.

Sending support and positivity. 🌸

-Peach311 💗

franticfandoms
    Participant

Thank you for your reply!
    I spoke to my mum about it today, and it turns out that in year 1 we were all tested to see what kind of learning would benefit us the most, and I’ve always had very sensitive auditory input. This explains why these episodes are triggered by loud environments, as my brain just can’t process the amount of information that its receiving- so it just shuts everything off basically.
    We’re currently arranging a meeting with the special educational needs coordinator at my school so that i can be allowed to step out of the class before i get too overwhelmed.
    Thanks again for replying to my post and encouraging me to speak up about it!

peach311
    Keymaster

Hey Franticfandoms,

Wow, that totally explains it and what a relief that must feel to know. It can be so easy to ignore what our bodies are trying to tell us and your were spot on to say something. 😃

Good luck at the meeting and keep making sure your voice is heard. I’m always here if you need a second opinion or a place to vent. What you have described sounds pretty intense to have to go through and you deserve support, never lose sight of that. 👍🏼

Sending positivity 🌟

-Peach311

peach311
    Keymaster

Hey

I just wanted to check back and see how everything is going since we last spoke here?

-Peach311

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

How are you feeling now?

Thank’s for letting us know