Writing a story with a gender fluid character. Any advice?

Community Gender Writing a story with a gender fluid character. Any advice?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bisexualbookworm
    Participant

We have to write short fiction stories for my language arts class. I’ve decided to write a series of short stories, and one of them has a gender fluid protagonist who goes by the name of Cecily or Cecil.
    I am not gender fluid myself, and I don’t want to make any potentially offensive or just plain ignorant mistakes, so if anybody could give me some advice for my story, that would be very helpful. Anything from just ideas to common misconceptions that I should avoid would be appreciated.
    I’ll admit that I am a little hesitant about writing this particular story, not because the protagonist is gender fluid but because I’m not sure if it’s okay for me, as a cisgender person, to be writing from the point of view of a gender fluid person. If you think I really shouldn’t be writing the story, please let me know.
    Thank you.
    PS: My dad also makes really ignorant remarks about the LGBTQ+ community all the time, so I’m a bit nervous about that, too.
    “Hey, what did you work on in language class today?”
    “A bunch of stories with bi and gender fluid characters and a young single mother-all the topics you say stupid things about, more or less, dad.”

copacetic
    Participant

As a still-figuring-this-out genderfluid person, I’ll try. A couple of points –
    -it’s different for each person
    -their pronouns will vary wildly. some use they/them, some use gendered pronouns
    -whether the person is AMAB or AFAB would have an effect on their challenges. AFAB people can “get away with more” than AMAB people in terms of presentation against social norms.
    -presentation is separate from gender identity. I’m AMAB, and I’m still GF when presenting completely male at work.
    -some experience dysphoria, some don’t.
    -while their gender can change daily, it may not. There’s no schedule.
    If I think of more I’ll post again. 🙂

You may want to consider using this to try to educate your dad. Good luck!

louise19
    Participant

I don’t know that much on this subject, so cant really help.

My Dad can say similar stuff and its so embarrassing he doesnt want to understand. My mum is way more open minded so that helps but i think she should call him out more otherwise how will he really learn.

Good luck with your stories they sound awesome and dont be put off thinking that you might get it wrong. You are open to learning about it and that is the best way to be.

✌🏽

jayb
    Participant

Hey Bisexualbookworm,

How did your stories go?

✌🏽

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

How are you feeling now?

Thank’s for letting us know