Research Papers

Get the latest UK bullying statistics and reports for free from Ditch the Label: one of the UK’s leading anti-bullying charities. Our statistical analysis covers a whole plethora of bullying related trends, behaviours and attitudes.

Note on symbols

R
includes recommendations
ES
includes executive summary
L
landmark study
EL
extract from a landmark study
IN
international study

The Valentine Study

  • R
  • ES
  • IN

In the mainstream, sexuality is seen as a binary construct but our latest research proposes a new fluidity scale - as young people increasingly move away from labels. Our research of over 1,000 also explores the impact of technology on modern relationships and the exploration of sexuality.

Cyberbullying and Hate Speech

  • IN

What is the current climate of cyberbullying? To what extent do people experience racist, homophobic and transphobic insults online? When are people most likely to experience abuse? These are some of the questions that we have answered in our latest report, Cyberbullying and Hate Speech. Produced in collaboration with Brandwatch, we analysed 19 million Tweets over a 4-year period to produce this cutting edge report.

Masculinity and Misogyny in the Digital Age

  • ES
  • IN

What does it mean to be a man? Who are the biggest culprits of misogynistic language? What are some of the current challenges that modern men face? These are some of the questions that we have answered in our latest report, Masculinity and Misogyny in the Digital Age. Produced in collaboration with Brandwatch, we analysed 19 million Tweets over a 4-year period to produce this cutting edge report.

The Annual Bullying Survey 2016

  • R
  • L
  • ES

The Annual Bullying Survey is our flagship study of bullying and associated behaviours, produced in collaboration with schools and colleges from across the United Kingdom on an annual basis. Approximately 70% of our survey features the same questions so that we are able to measure long-term trends and shifts in behaviours and attitudes. We reserve the remaining 30% for research on a specific topic.

The Gender Report 2016

  • R
  • L
  • ES
  • IN

This research covers the topic of gender and how it can enable and disable young people aged 13-25 throughout the United Kingdom and internationally. We were particularly interested in the definition of gender, gender roles and the bullying and discrimination young people experience as a result of not conforming to societal standards

The Wireless Report

  • R
  • L
  • ES

The majority of young people now have instant access to smartphone technology which poses significant risks in terms of monitoring, tracking and resolving cyber bullying and abuse. This report is based on research from over 2,700 teenagers and explores cyber bullying on smartphones, sexting and the impacts thereof.

The Cyberbullying Report 2013

  • R
  • ES
  • L

Taken from research of over 10,000 teens, our cyberbullying research is the largest body of research in the world that focuses solely on the issue of cyberbullying. We identify new and existing cyberbullying trends and behaviours. In addition, we were able to rank the leading social networks in terms of the abuse experienced on the platforms. Includes recommendations.